The Eyes Are The Window To The Soul

The Eyes Are The Window To The Soul
The Eyes Are The Window To The Soul

Quote Of The Moment


Don't listen to those who say, 'You're taking too big a chance.' Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor, and it would surely be rubbed out by today

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Practice whilst at home

So ok yesterday I patted myself on the back because I am a 'Committed Athlete'. It took me 2 hours to get to practice. The fog was horrible. I took the journey in my stride as I sat south side of the Blackwall Tunnel for 1 1/2 hours in low lying fog. Full tank of petrol, a couple of CD's and a protein bar.





While I have been home I’ve been working with Lloyd Cowan and Christine Bowmaker. I call them my surrogate coaches.

Please don’t think Lloyd Cowan is just the coach of Christine Ohuruogu, Andy Turner and the other athletes he coaches down at Lee Valley. He was once an athlete in his own right. I think his PR is 13.75 for 110 hurdles. While Christine is someone I used to train with and compete against. So I’ve been in good hands.




I have known Lloyd Cowan since I was 11 years. Yes some 23 years. Its funny how along the way Lloyd has always been around. He was the young man that the Catholic girls from Notre Dame High School used to swoon over for an hours athletics PE lesson at Southwark Park. I used to call him Mr Cowan and Sir. Those days are long gone.


So once again Lloyd becomes a fixture in my life. He had a past training stint with my current coach back in the 80s or was it 90s. Anyway Lloyd understands what Brooks is looking for and it is with strict instruction that when I’m in the UK I’m to find Lloyd for my technical sessions. Blocks etc, the only thing is it has turned into near enough every session. He’s not complaining and I am enjoying being the step child of his training group.

We have already been present at one Olympic Games together (Athens 2004). God willing we will be in Beijing together too.


So daily I leave my Mums house in Catford (That’s where I stay whilst in the UK) and head over to Lee Valley . The road leading up to the Blackwall Tunnel is a beast. But, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do to get to practice.

1 comment:

You might also like