Wednesday, May 28, 2008
And so the travel begins
"He who would travel happily must travel light." -- Antoine de St. Exupery
My friends and family think I live a great life. 'Your so lucky you get to travel' is the line I usually hear. The blank look I give them in respose usually throws them.
Hmmmmmmm lets just say it aint the Ritz. Imagine
- Cold meet European breakfast
- Sharing a room for 2 nights with someone you dont know. Unless you get there early and work the welcoming committee staff, to redo their rooming plan. (yes I have done this and I cant speak a word of Spanish, French or Italian)
- If you lucky staying in a Raddision hotel with internet access. If your not staying in the equivalent of an Ibis. lol
- European MTV. Its so funny but I know I will learn some really obscure song this summer from watching MTV Europe.
- The only English speaking channel is CNN. So at least I will be able to swat up on international affairs. lol
I don't mean this in a bad way. But playing pot luck with European airports who take it as thier personal challenge to loose your luggage is not a thought that I relish. Nothing worse than arriving the day before a meet with only a backpack to your name. Because that short hop from London to Madrid ended in you bag being sent to Malaga if it even left heathrow.
Hanging out with David Oliver and listening to his story of last summers luggage disaster has set me up to 'pack smart' this year. Davd somehow managed to lose his luggage for 10 days and managed with what he had packed in his back pack and a little hand washing. No he did not have to take his clothes down to the stream. But, you get my point. Yes D.O can hand wash. lol
So im packing light with the following in my back pack just incase
- Spikes (Tools of the trade)
- Competition kit (After all thats what I need the most)
- Change of underware (At least 3 days)
- Travel size toiletries (When in doubt borrow from others)
- Laptop (Im really not offering my laptop up as a gift to the baggage handlers)
- Change of clothing 3 tops (I too can hand wash, if I have to)
Outfit to the airport
- Jeans (you can wear them more than once)
- Competition trainers (no longer those cute shoes for the airport. Cause who cares? lol)
-Hoodie (I like to wrap up and sleep on all flights)
With the amount of travel I have over the coming weeks. I can not allow myself to be bothered with things that I can't control. So I will help myself as best I can with the things that I can.
Plus I can't even imagine calling my coach Brooks to tell him I could not run. Because, my luggage got lost and I dont have my equipment. But, I do have 2 pairs of jeans and a cute pair of heels. (Not even remotely funny)
at 8:23 AM
You might also like
So we made it to 2011. What lovely surprises, new people and growth does she have in store for us? I'm over the resolutions thing, h...
I have always chuckled when these songs have come on Day 25 - Songs that make me laugh The Corrs - I Never Really Loved ...
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all Helen Keller I saw the above two quotes and started thinking about my 'Bucket L...